Mishayla's Colors

"The world will see such wonder when Mishayla's colors shine"

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Down Syndrome and the Sins of Eve? Bible scholars, please explain!

I  realized, talking not only to my  husband, but to some of my writer friends, that I need to back this story up.  I left something important out that occurred.

Please understand that it is not my intent to offend anyone.  I was afraid to tell this part of my story for this reason.  But as my cousin and fellow writer Heidi says: "Ya gotta make it real."

So I'm going to tell you about an incident that occurred before I left the hospital. 

I was raised Catholic.  Never liked it much, but I went through all the catechisms and such as a child because my mother, who was a non-Catholic, signed some sort of a paper when she married my father in 1950, which stated she HAD to raise her children Catholic.  She kept her end of the bargain.

But she also told my brother and I, after we were confirmed, we could do whatever we wanted to. 

So as a child of the 60s and 70s, who believed (and still do) in free will, which the church really doesn't support, after confirmation at 13, I never went back.

But after having Mishayla, I felt the need for some sort of connection to a higher power.  Tony and Mishayla had already left the hospital late that afternoon.  Jared and Scott, my son and his father, were gone. I was alone with this ache.  Guilt, sadness; so many feelings were just overwhelming me.  So I thought, "what the heck?"

I called the nurse. "What it be possible to send a priest up here?" I asked.

"Sure," she said, "No problem."

When the gentlemen I thought was going to be my priest entered the room, he was not wearing a priest's garb, or even the collar.  I found this weird.  Well, I had been out of the church for so long, maybe they didn't wear them anymore.

He took a chair next to my bed.  Introduced himself.  I don't remember his name now.  I asked if he was indeed a Catholic priest.  "Oh, no," he said, nearly insulted at the implication.  He said he was from some local evangelical church in town.

Well, that was fine.  With the condition I was in at the time, I would take what I could get. 

I can't, all these years later, remember my conversation with this man verbatim.  But I remember the important parts. 

I remember asking why would God do this to an innocent child.  That I just didn't understand. 

This is basically what he said.

"You must understand that man is sinner," he replied.  "We must be punished for our sins.  The sins of Eve we all must pay for.  Your daughter was born, and children like her, to pay for these sins."

I didn't say anything.  I didn't know what to say.  Is that why my daughter was the way she was? Because of my sins? What sins had I committed? I was a decent person.  I wasn't perfect.  Nobody is. 

I felt sicker and more full of anquish than I had before this guy had come in here.  I wanted to throw his ass right out of the room.

He insisted that we pray.  I don't remember the prayer.  I was too shocked to even think.  I remember closing my eyes, and faking prayer.  All I wanted by then was his absence.

He left, and I felt horrible.

He showed up again the next day, when Tony came back to the hospital to pick me up, and take me down to UCLA.  It was very important to Tony that Mishayla be baptized before her surgeries.  Tony was also raised a Catholic, and still very much a believer in most of the church's teachings.  He told the minister he wanted his sick daughter baptized, and planned on having this done before her surgeries this morning.

"Oh, I don't think you or you wife are ready for that. You have to accept Jesus Christ into your heart before you can bring it to your children.  I suggest you wait until she is older."

I don't remember how Tony replied to this.  Of course he didn't agree with this at all.  This child was going to have life-threatening surgeries. She could die.  Why would we wait?

I was discharged, and we got in car.  During the drive, Tony asked me "What was the matter with that guy? How could he believe we should wait to baptize a sick baby? 

I had done this intentionally.  I had waited till we were gone from the hospital to tell my husband what the guy said to me, that our newborn daughter, who was ill and had a disability, was basically a demon.

I will not repeat, for the sake of what is proper, the words that come out of my husband's mouth regarding this man's opinion.  Bullshit was one of cleaner words he used. 

He was enraged, and the more enraged he got, the more enraged I got.  How unkind and unfeeling could somebody be? Okay, maybe those are his beliefs. But isn't it his job to render solace and comfort to those in peril? In need of God's love and protection? 

When we got to UCLA, they were prepping Mishayla for surgery.  Tony told the NICU nurse we wanted to have her baptized.  "No problem, that's easy," said the nurse.

Within a few minutes, Father O'Malley entered.  He was a priest at a Catholic church in Westwood, near the hospital.  We talked to him, and he was kind and comforting.  He said once she was well, if we wanted, we could bring her down to the church, and he would do a tradional baptism with family and friends. 

We stood over Mishayla, and made the sign of the cross.  The priest placed blessed water on her forehead. It was done in 5 minutes.

We thanked him for his attention and kindness.  Our daughter was taken to surgery.



Our little fighter, at about age 3

Over the years, this story has nearly become legendary in the Moore family.  Tony told his mother, who of course, was outraged.  Dorothy Roberto Moore is from a very large family, and she told all her family members, which is surely over 100 people, of this story.  Everybody knew it, everybody was mad.  I've told almost every friend I've met in the past 13 years, my college professors, everyone.

They all think it was a heinous thing to say to a mother who had just given birth to a child like Mishayla.  Where was the compassion? Where was the benevolence?  

But as Mishayla got older, I encounter these sorts of beliefs more than once.  People saying our kids are here because of sin.  One woman saw an eight month old adorable Mishayla in the library said to me "Oh, that child needs to get to church."  Every time this happened, it would make my blood boil.

I've also encountered it as an advocate as well.  Occasionally, the case workers at California's Los Angeles County Regional Center would come across a consumer's parent, who would not want our help because their church pastor had convinced the parent the child was not worthy of this help.  It was the saddest things I ever saw.  One parent asked to have one of our case workers removed when this woman tried to convince this woman that Down Syndrome was a chromosonal abnormality, and had nothing to do with God.  She said the case worker "didn't respect her beliefs."

Beliefs or madness? We all believed it was borderline child abuse.  But there was nothing we could do for a 5 year old boy, who was essentially being punished for being born by his own parent under the guise of religion.

As an undergraduate English student, I had a class called Bible as Literature.  Of course we didn't study the entire bible, but I don't remember anything like that in the bible, saying kids with disabilities were here on earth because of man's fall from grace. 

I have looked myself as well.  Can't find a thing.  Was this guy making this stuff up just to be mean? 

All these years later, I would still like to understand. 

So if any of you out there understand what this man said to me that day, I would like to know. Where are the bible passages? Where is the proof of this?

I would like to understand, because I pray this doesn't happen to someone else.  My suspecions tell me it has. 

So whoever you are out there, I welcome a dialogue.  Open up the understanding!!

If it indeed exists.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Cyndee,
    Congratulations on having such a beautiful daughter! I am so sorry you had to experience such harshness at a time you should have been receiving encouragement and support. How unfair that these people, supposedly trained bible teachers, said these things (merely opinions) and made you feel that Mishayla was anything less than a miracle. All children are, no matter who they are.
    I am a devout religious person (NOT Catholic), so I would love to draw your attention to a wonderful book and website published by Jehovah's Witnesses.
    http://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/article_00.htm is an online version of the book entitled “What Does The Bible Really Teach?” Check out topic 11 - Why Does God Allow Suffering? The great thing about this publication (and indeed all of those published by Jehovah’s Witnesses) is that all topics are bible-based, meaning there are no opinions. The group of qualified people who compose the information work based on bible scriptures and spend a lot of time and effort to produce trustworthy research.
    I myself have three children, two have Down syndrome. I most definitely don’t blame God for “giving” my husband and me two children with disabilities; however I do believe He gives us the strength to cope with the struggles.
    Hopefully, you have some time to read the information and find comfort and peace, being reassured that your “sins” have most definitely NOT caused Mishayla’s extra chromosome.
    With love, Joelene – “More Ups Than Downs”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does this so-called priest think we have Easter? All our sins were forgiven. Does he even read the bible. God asks children to sit at his side. God does not punish us for our sins but only asks that we ask to be forgiven. There is no way a loving God would purposely give a child that has health problems to someone who has sinned but he gave her to you because he knew you would be a loving mother and father. This priest is the sinner in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several things: Your belief in free will is correct. God has allowed us the opportunity to accept Him or reject Him.
    All are sinners. Because sin entered the world, all life is subject to sin. The person who visited you was responding to the word "innocent". No one is innocent. You can prove this to yourself by remembering the first time one of your children did something naughty on purpose. Did you teach them to do that? No, it came from inside.
    The person in the hospital didn't give you the whole story. Accepting our sinful condition is only one part of it. Having exposure to religious education, you are probably familiar with the Bible's description of God's character as being holy and loving. Holiness cannot mix with sinfulness. Therefore man is separated from God in his sinful state. Sin must be punished or paid for. Because God is loving, He provided a solution to man's problem of sin and death (punishment for sin) by sending His Son Jesus Christ as a perfect sacrifice/payment for all sin. Our response to God has to be one of trust because of free will. Yes, Jesus died for the sins of the world, but every soul has to choose whether or not they will take advantage of God's solution or not. If a person accepts and trusts that Jesus did indeed die and rise again and has taken away their sins, then they are reunited with God and have a place reserved in Heaven. If a person chooses to reject Jesus' payment for sin, they are still apart from God. Baptism is an outward symbol of the choice to accept God's solution. In itself, water will only make you wet. What about infants, small children, the unborn, those who aren't able to understand? This is a gray area in the Bible. There is a verse that could imply that children of believing parents are "sanctified" or made holy until they can choose for themselves. If this is true, then a child/infant/stillborn/MR child (I can say that because I have a son with Down Syndrome) who dies before making a personal choice, would be in heaven because of the parent's beliefs. This is a gray area (not specifically clear) because if it were true for certain, it could be abused. There was just an article in the paper about a mother who stabbed her son and his friend to death because she wanted them to be safe in heaven. All we know for certain is that God has a list of those who are/will be saved and whose who aren't/won't. Since He is outside of time, He can see the end. Another gray area in the Bible regards the age of accountability. This implies that a child is not 'judged' until they are old enough to understand truth. If this is true, then our children with Down Syndrome are held aside until such time as they can understand the choice that God allows us to make regarding salvation. Once again, it's not clear because one could keep their child ignorant of truth by extraordinary means so they need never make the choice and be saved anyway. It could still be true, and I hope that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One other quick point: One of the happenings in the New Testament describes the relationship between sin and disability. A man born blind was at the synagogue seeking healing from Jesus. The Jews stated that he was blind because either he sinned or his parents sinned. The discples asked Jesus about this. "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him." Also, when Moses was complaining to God about his speech impediment, God replied "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, deaf, seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?" These special needs that happen to us are not mistakes.
    If your daughter had not been born with Down Syndrome, and my son had not also been born with DS, we would never have had this interaction. God put your daughter in your life so you would seek Him. Understand that man is sinful while on the earth, saved or not. So I ask you to put aside as best you can the poor handling you've had by the church so far and seek God again, this time on your own. Check out what the Bible has to say about disability. Check out what it has to say about salvation, sanctified children and the age of accountability. Don't take my word for it. Enjoy your daughter!

    ReplyDelete